Tuesday, June 19, 2007

You Should See The Way It Feels To Me







YOU SHOULD SEE THE WAY IT FEELS TO ME
          ~ David Wilcox

It might look to you like nothing much to see
But you should see the way it feels to me
Here's the sidewalk I used to ride my bike
Down this little slope, down my little mountain
Start by the driveway spinning up to speed
Careful on the gravel 'cause it's nasty on the knees
Watch out for the branches on that apple tree
Soar down to the corner



Well I guess it's not as high as I remember
It might not be a mountain after all
But it was hard enough to climb
And steep enough to coast
Long enough to satisfy
And fast enough to boast



It may look to you like nothing much to see
But you should see the way it feels to me



Here's the tree house, I used to spend my night
Up this little tree, way up in my mansion
Jump to the first branch, walk it upside down
Careful of your grip 'cause it's a long way to the ground
Better get a handhold before you look around
You can see into forever



Well I guess it's not as high as I remember
It might not be a mansion after all
But it was hard enough to climb
And safe enough to sleep
Big enough to satisfy
And home enough for me



It may look to you like nothing much to see
But you should see the way it feels to me



Here's the old man who used to be the child
So long ago, not so very long though
Look at the memory, think of all those years
Looking through the sparkle of the sunlight in the tears
Better take another look before you disappear
You can see across your lifetime



So I look at where I've come and where I'm going
I will never be the greatest after all
But it was hard enough to climb
To get to where I've been
Love enough to satisfy
And life enough to live



I make look to you like nothing much to be
But you should see the way it feels to me
You should see the way it feels to me




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Love the pictures. Love, Barb

Anonymous said...

Every little town in Minnesota
had a main street that consisted of:
a church
a bank
a bar
and
a grain elevator
and in between every little town
were lots of lakes,
fields
and
woods ...

Sometimes, the bar was also
a grill,
a grocery store,
a gas station,
or even
a post office.
In the winter, we had LOTS of snow.
In the summer, we had LOTS of mosquitos.

Every year had ...
potato salad picnics,
fishing season, hunting season, football season,
planting time and harvest time.
We celebrated every holiday
with old country traditions,
and we worked all year on making sure
the family had a
Norman Rockwell Christmas.

When I drive through town,
I can still smell the wood stove,
and the church ladies perfumes.
I can still taste Mom's hotdish
and Verda's bars.
I can still see Grandma's flowers
and the northern lights in the winter sky.
I can still hear the old folks Scandinavian accents
and the friendly laughter that went with every gathering.
I can still feel the warmth of a quilt
and the softness of crochet ...
I can still feel the love ...
even though they are gone now ...

I wish you could feel the way I see ...