Saturday, November 11, 2006

11-11



When my kids were small, we had two things that remind me of them still.
 
The first was a code ... when we were around other people or at school where it wasn't "cool" for Moms to get mushy, we would squeeze each other's hands three times ... the first squeeze was "I", the second squeeze was "love" and the third squeeze was "you".
 
The second was the time 11:11 on a digital clock ... Maybe, we just liked the way it looked all even or maybe, it was because late at night when you can't sleep, 11:11 could remind all of us that we were loved.  When my kids were away at their Dad's, 11:11 was one of the ways we gave comfort to each other.
 
The kids have all told me stories about wrestling with a "decision" and looking down at the clock and seeing 11:11 ... and took it as a sign that every thing would be okay ... Funny how those little things grow.
 
I was walking through Walmart with my grandson and granddaughter.  My granddaughter smiled and took my hand and squeezed it three times.  I looked down at her and smiled and she said, "Do you know about Mommy's code, MeeMaw?" 

I said, "Yes, I am the one who taught it to her the code."

She giggled and said, "And she showed me ... so now, we all know the code!"
 
When we are raising our children, we think we are teaching them so much in those long lectures and deep talks ... but it's in the fleeting moments that sometimes hold the most lasting memories ... that become traditions ... 
 
Wonder if she told them about the 11:11 thing too?  LOL ... Hope you all had the NICEST 11-11 ... and next time you're feeling sad or blue, or you just can't fall asleep and you look at the clock and it reads 11:11 ... someone somewhere is thinking of YOU!

  




As we grow up,
we learn that even the one person
that wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will.
You will have your heart broken
probably more than once and it's harder every time.
You'll break hearts too,
so remember how it felt when yours was broken.
You'll fight with your best friend.
You'll blame a new love for things an old one did.
You'll cry because time is passing too fast,
and you'll eventually lose someone you love.
So take too many pictures,
laugh too much,
and love like you've never been hurt
because every sixty seconds you spend upset
is a minute of happiness
you'll never get back.




 

No comments: