Sunday, November 12, 2006

FAITH according to Mom and Maya Angelou



I was thinking about my Mom this morning
and the quiet way she has lead most of her life,
doing what was necessary and what mattered,
even if it only mattered to her children, all ten of us!
I remember being in grade school.
I was in the second grade.  My little brother was in the first grade.
I would look for him and walk through the lunch line and sit next to him in the lunchroom where we would both bow our heads and pray, asking God to bless our lunch, not to show off, but because that is what our Mom taught us to do,
"Come Lord Jesus.  Be our guest ...
And let these gifts to us be blessed.  Amen."

I didn't really think much about it back then,
but on a visit home, I ran into one of my old school teachers.
I wish I could tell you she still remembered what a little genius I was
(okay, quit laughing ... I WAS joking)
but the thing she said when she saw me,
"Taylor, you were my student that always prayed."
and her eyes filled up with tears.
I was moved by her tears even though
I found her comment a little strange.
I wasn't the only child in that little Minnesota town that prayed!
My Mom was standing next to me,
and I remembered one of my favorite quotes
by Abraham Lincoln
and repeated it while I gave my Mom a hug,

"All that I am and ever hope to be,
I owe to my ANGEL MOTHER." 

I have been thinking about the things we pass down to our children and the things our children pass on ...

It wasn't just the Faith Of Our Fathers
but our Mothers too!


There has been a lot of talk here lately
about "those Christians".
Now, I don't know if I'm lumped in with "those Christians",
and depending on the circumstance,
I'm not sure how I would feel about it if I were or if I weren't.
Faith, for me, is as personal and natural
as moving to music, or breathing in the smell of rain,
Fresh coffee or home made bread.
I can't look at the beauty of nature and not say,
"Thank you Lord!"

But if I were to define it in BIG WORDS
eloquently phrased so that you could feel it too,
I would have to refer you to Ms. Angelou,
who has a way of saying EXACTLY the words
that I already feel ...




Christians
- By Maya Angelou




When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven."

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace, somehow!




I got this poem as an email today.
It said to ...

Share this with somebody who already has this understanding,
as reinforcement.
But more importantly, share this with those who do not have
a clear understanding of what it means
to be a Christian,
so that the MYTHS
that
"Christians think they are "perfect" or "better than others"
can be dispelled.

I think I just did.
 
 
 
 
 
    

No comments: