Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years Ago Today ...


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Five years ago today, I was getting ready for work, and as always, I was listening to the news while I got ready.  I walked past the tv and saw a plane fly into one of the twin towers and thought,"What kind of a movie is Hollywood making now?"  Just then, Katie Couric came on, looking more serious than usual.  I could feel something was wrong so I sat down to hear what she was saying ... "A small plane has just crashed into one the Twin Towers ..."  I looked at the amateur video.  I knew that wasn't a small plane.

Without thinking about it, I started praying ...

... and while the cameras were all aimed at the Twin Towers, I watched another jet plane deliberately turn into the second tower going very fast.  I saw something HUGE fly out the other side of the building and knew it had to be one of the engines.
 
I shook my head in disbelief and picked up the phone.
I called a few of my loved ones, asking them if they had seen or heard what had just happened in New York City?
Most had not.
They were at work or school.
They didn't believe it any more than I did and I had just seen it with my own two eyes.  It didn't really sink in until a few hours later when my Mom said, "What do you think this means?"

Without thinking, I said, "Mom, I think we are at war.
Someone just declared war on the U.S.  Someone is going to pay.
This is America.
No one bombs and kills Americans on our own soil
and gets away with it." 
 
Silence.

I didn't want to believe it but there it was.  I had just said it.
Mom didn't want to hear it but she knew I was speaking the truth.
Mom said the same thing I have said many times since 9-11 ...
 
God bless us all.

I got this as an email today and even though it was hard to read,
it spoke to my heart and
paid tribute to the victims and honored the heroes ...

God bless them all.
 
 
 
THE STAIRWELL
by Babybird
 
You say you will never forget where you were when you heard the news, September 11, 2001.
Neither will I.
 
I was on the 11th floor in a smoke filled room with a man who called his wife to say "Good-bye".  I held his fingers steady as he dialed.
I gave him peace to say, "Honey, I am not going to make it,
but it's okay ... I'm ready to go ...".
I was with his wife when he called as she fed breakfast to their children.
I held her up as she tried to understand his words and as she realized
he would not be coming home that night.
 
I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor
when a woman cried out to me for help.
"I have been knocking on the door to your heart for 50 years!" I said.
"Of course I'll show you the way home - only believe on Me now."
 
I was at the base of the building with the priest
ministering to the injured and devastated souls.
I took him home to tend to his flock in Heaven.
He heard My voice and answered.
 
I was on all four of the planes, in every seat and with every prayer.
I was with the crew as they were overtaken.
I was in the very heart of the believers there,
comforting them and assuring them that their faith had saved them.
 
I was in Texas, Kansas, London ...
I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news.
Did you sense me?
I want you to know that I saw every face.
I knew every name -- though they did not all know Me.
Some met Me for the first time on the 100th floor.
Some sought Me out in their last breath.
Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the smoke and flames,
"Come to Me ... this way ... take My hand."
Some chose for the final time to ignore Me, but I was there.
 
I did not place you in the towers that day - you may not know why,
but I do.
However, if you were there in that explosive moment in time,
would you have reached for Me?
September 11, 2001, was not the end of the journey for you,
but someday, your journey will end,
and when it does, I will be there for you as well.
Seek Me now while I may be found.
Then, at any moment, you know youare ready to go.
 
I will be in the stairwell of your final moments,
God
 
 

KEEP CLIMBING
(published in the Edmonton Star, October 3, 2001)
 
Keep Climbing, says the Captain,
Up through the smoke and smell.
Keep Climbing, says the Captain
I think I hear somebody's yell.
 
Keep Climbing, calls the Captain
Forget about your pain
Keep climbing, shouts the Captain
We have a few more floors to gain
Keep climbing, yells the Captain
We'll bring them down again
 
Keep Climbing, cries the Captain,
If I can, so can you
Keep Climbing, orders the Captain,
Right now, I need the best from you.
 
Keep Climbing, scream the Captain,
Forget about those sounds
It's just some girders twisting
And some concrete falling down.
 
Keep Climbing, prays the Captain,
Eyes raised, heading for the top.
And when you're tired and feel like quitting
Remember them.  They didn't stop.
 
Keep Climbing, whispers the Captain.
Climb up to that light
Right up to that sunshine
No smoke to smell, No fire to fight.
 
Keep climbing, sings the Captain,
That angel's hand will lead the way.
Rest now, says the Captain.
You did your job today.
 
 

LITTLE DID SHEKNOW SHE KISSED A HERO
Written by Kristy Jackson
 
He found some socks
She chose his tie
And when he left for work that morning
He was just another guy
Going to work
He'd have to fly
Out to a meeting in LA so she had kissed him twice goodbye
 
Little did she know she'd kissed a hero
Though he'd always been one in her eyes
But when faced with certain death
He'd said a prayer and took a breath
And led an army of true angels in the sky
Little did she know she'd kissed a hero
Though he'd always been an angel in her eyes
Putting others first, it's true
That's what heroes always do
Now he doesn't need a pair of wings to fly
 
The phone had rung
His voice was calm
Before he could tell her anything
She knew something was wrong
I love you so
The last words he'd said
She said I love you too
And then the phone went dead
 
Little did she know she'd kissed a hero
Though he'd always been one in her eyes
But when faced with certain death
He'd said a prayer and took a breath
And led an army of true angels in the sky
Little did she know she'd kissed a hero
Though he'd always been an angel in her eyes
Putting others first, it's true
That's what heroes always do
Now he doesn't need a pair of wings to fly
 
 

TOMORROW
 
When tomorrow starts without me
And I'm not there to see
If the sun should rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears of me
I wish so much you wouldn't cry
The way you did today
While thinking of the many things
We didn't get to say
I know how much you love me
As much as I love you
And each time that you think of me
I know you'll miss me too
But when tomorrow starts without me
Please try to understand
That an angel came and called my name
And took me by the hand
And said my place was ready
In heaven far above
And that I'd have to leave behind
All those I dearly love
But when I walked through Heaven's gates
I felt so much at home
When God looked down and smiled at me
From his great golden throne
He said, "This is eternity
And all I've promised you."
Today, your life on earth is past
But here it starts anew
I promise no tomorrow
For today will always last
And since each day's the same way
There's no longing for the past
So when tomorrow starts without me
Don't think we're far apart
For every time you think of me
I'm right here in your heart.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So hold your loved ones close today
and whisper in their ear
Tell them how much you love them
and that you'll always hold them dear

Take time to say "I'm sorry"
"Please forgive me" "Thank you" or "It's okay"
And if tomorrow never comes
you'll have done your best today
 
 

No comments: