Thursday, May 11, 2006

Meditations, AFFIRMATIONS & Quotes


I wrote a perfectly wonderful essay on affirmations and no matter how I tried, I couldn't get it to fit into this format ... I tried editing it and cutting it and nothing worked ... When I tried my best and it's still wasn't happening, I backed up and looked at what I was doing and asked myself if there might be a better way.  I decided to write about my own experience with AFFIRMATIONS.  I can tell you about affirmations.  I use them all the time.

I have been in some sort of sales for most of my life and have heard dozens of speeches on positive thinking and how the things we think and the things we say can and will become reality.  Unfortunately for most of us ... it's not just the POSITIVE things we think and say but the NEGATIVE things we think and say that can become reality too.

That's where affirmations come in ...

What is an affirmation?

There are very few that doubt affirmations actually work but opinions vary widely when it comes to exactly why or how. Fundamentally affirmations work because you are repeatedly telling yourself that you would like to feel or act a particular way or take on a certain character trait. This repetition subtly reminds you of this and you take steps in that direction. At first these steps are conscious however with time they become unconscious, hence affirmations are a way of reprogramming the unconscious mind.

Everyone uses affirmations either by taking control and consciously writing them down and choosing how they want to act, think or feel or by allowing their environment to affirm actions and dialog with potentially damaging consequences. If you do not consciously program your subconscious you are left with no choice but to accept whatever life throws at you, positive or negative.

                                                  ( from www.bmindful.com )
 
As a mother of four, I tried to get as much done as possible before I left the house every day.  The "habit" of leaving things in order often meant that I would get in the car 10-15 minutes later than I should have.  I would then be in a hurry, which meant that the old lady doing 20 in a 35 would make me CRAZY!  I would get MAD at her for getting in my way.  It became a habit for me to "talk" to the driver in front of me.  Now I wouldn't just be rushed.  I'd be frustrated.  Sometimes, I'd be angry.  It was a bad habit.  It was all so unnecessary.

I didn't feel like I could quit doing the things I needed to do before I left the house, so I got up 10-15 minutes earlier.  That helped some, but occasionally, there would still be something ... long line at the gas station, the slow driver, getting cut off by a faster driver ... I started changing the way I talked to myself.  I would encourage myself to calm down ... I'd politely say, "After you" when someone cut me off ... I also put an affirmation on the dash of my car next to the clock.  It said, "I will get to where I need to be when I need to get there ... DRIVE SAFELY".  It didn't control my driving, but it reminded me to CONTROL MY DRIVING and being a safe and courteous driver became my NEW habit.

When I first started my recovery, I felt awful.  I felt awful all the time.  NOTHING cheered me up.  I read a book that said to use AFFIRMATIONS to cheer ourselves up ... encouraging things we might say to someone else if they were down ... She gave a few examples of things that helped her and I found a few other quotes.

I typed them on the computer and printed them out.  I cut them out and pasted them on pretty card stock and taped them all over my house ... my mirrors ... above my sink in the kitchen ... on my refrigerator ... next to the tv ... even on the inside of the front door!
 
Some of them said things like:


Live a balanced, centered, serene,
happy, healthy life
on a
DAILY BASIS.
 
 
My PRAYERS and NEEDS
are always answered
and
met at the PERFECT time.
 
 
ACTION
converts my goals to
REALITY.
 
 
I have the
ABILITY and SKILLS
now to get all I
NEED or WANT.
 
 
MIRACLES
are happening to me
RIGHT NOW
and
EVERY DAY.


I LOVE, ACCEPT and FORGIVE
myself and others
because
I am a LOVING and FORGIVING person.
 
 
FAITH and BELIEF
stimulate and fuel my
DREAMS.
 
 
Without
COURAGE
We cannot practice
any other virtue
consistently.


My life
ALWAYS has
JOY, PURPOSE & MEANING.


I LOVE & ACCEPT OTHERS
to be who they are.
 
 
I love and appreciate my body.
I ammore than my body.
I am a POWERFUL SPIRIT.
 
 
I am CAPABLE
of
REALIZING my DREAMS.
 

Was I magically happy and instantly healed?  Recovery doesn't work that way!  But it was almost magic the way I would see one of those AFFIRMATIONS and be reminded that I hadn't always been sad and that I probably wouldn't be sad forever ... They DID encourage me.  They DID help me reprogram the way I was thinking.  I quit focusing on "all things negative" and started looking for MIRACLES.

There are little miracles everyday, but we have to be looking for them.  If we are distracted or busy, we might miss the REAL LIFE affirmations.  Seeing positive statements typed out on cards trained my mind to see positive statements elsewhere ... to hear POSITIVE things from other people ... but POSITIVE THINKING only works if we BELIEVE IT!  Affirmations are one of the ways to change thinking into believing.

This web-site has many BEAUTIFUL AFFIRMATIONS:


The images in my mind have creative power.
They breath existence into possibilities
That never existed before.


I am focused on my journey, not the destination.


Intuition always guides me,
Showing me how to decide which path to travel,
As my life changes course.


http://owen.curezone.com/affirmations/deepakaffirmation.html


I honor all relationships,
Particularly the difficult ones,
As lessons in
Learning to give and receive love.


Since I will reap whatever I sow,
May my every action be a seed of
PEACE & COMPASSION
 Both for my own benefit,
And the benefit of all beings.


My body feels more relaxed and comfortable
As I allow myself to
Accept both light and shadow,
Becoming spacious enough to hold
The paradoxes of life.


Help is always available
From the seen and unseen worlds.
It is up to me to ask for what I need,
Realizing that answers may come
In unexpected ways.


http://owen.curezone.com/affirmations/joanaffirmations.html


I focus not on the 100 things
I may have to do at some future time,
But on the
One thing I can do NOW.


I am content with what I have.
I rejoice in the way things are.
I realize that there is nothing lacking.
The whole world belongs to me.


Nothing that was ever done to me,
Can touch, even in the slightest,
The radiant essence of who I really am.


http://owen.curezone.com/affirmations/eckharttolleaffirmations.html


Dear God,
I place in your hands
My relationship with __________.
May our relationship serve you.
May we see each other through the eyes of love,
That only Light might enter here.


May this space, our home, be a sacred dwelling
For those who
live here.
May those who visit feel the peace
We have received from you.
Maydarkness not enter.
May the light of God shield this space from harm.
May the angels bring their peace here,
And use our space as a haven of light.
May all grow strong in this place of healing,
Our sanctuary from the loudness of the world.


http://owen.curezone.com/affirmations/williamsonaffirmations-19.html

and many more at:
 
http://owen.curezone.com/affirmations/affirmationsindex.html

No comments: