Thursday, February 16, 2006

BREAK IN THE CUP and INSIDE MY HEAD


I mentioned this singer/songwriter yesterday ... a singer from North Carolina named David Wilcox.  He is a wonderful musician and a wonderful poet.  His words spoke to parts of my journey and maybe to parts of yours?



BREAK IN THE CUP

I try so hard to please you,
To be the love that fills you up.
I try to pour on sweet affection,
But I think
You got a broken cup.
Because
You can't believe I love you
I try to tell you
That there is no doubt,
But
As soon as I fill you
With all I've got,
That little break will let it run right out.



I cannot make you happy.
I'm learning
Love and money
Never do,
But
I can pour myself out 'til I'm empty,
Trying to be
Just who you'd want me to.
But I cannot make you happy
Even though
Our love is true,
For there's a break in the cup
That holds
Love inside of you.



Now I begin to understand
You,
As you explain this fear you feel.
It's when you see me fall
Into that sorrow,
it makes you doubt
The love is real.
'Cause the lonely wind
Still blows through me,
I turn away so can't see,
But now how could I still be so empty,
With all the love
That you pour on me.

 

I guess you cannot make me happy,
That's a money back guarantee.
But you can pour yourself out
'Til you're empty.
Trying to be just
Who I'd want you to be.
You cannot make me happy,
It's just the law of gravity,
And
That break in the cup that holds love,
Inside ofme.



So if you're tempted to rescue me
Drowning
In this quicksand up to my neck.
Before you grab my hand
To save me,
Why don't you ask me
If I'm finished yet,
Because
You cannot make me happy,
Not when I'm empty
Inside of me
But you can pull yourself right in here
With me.
My misery'd love to have
Your company.

  
  

We cannot trade empty for empty.
We must go to the waterfall.
For there's a break in the cup
That holds love,
A break in the cup that holds love,
A break in the cup that holds love,
Inside us all.
Inside us all.


 





INSIDE MY HEAD

I got such a mess between my ears,
Like dishes in the sink,
Stuff I don't believe
Just tumbles in
Until
I don't have room to think.
These dark clouds
I've stowed away
Just in case of a sunny day,
So I can stand
In the pouring rain
of every tear
I've ever shed.
I've got to empty out
The inside of my head.



This could be a room
With such a view,
But
Its covered up with junk,
Blocking off the place the light
Gets through.



So it keeps me in this funk.
All my failures
Are on display,
The broken dreams of yesterday ... 
Stuff I should have thrown away,
But I've kept it here
Instead
I've got to empty out the inside
Of my head
I've got to empty out the inside of my head.



I'd like to turn this place
Into my home
Instead of someplace
That I dread.
Its the only place
That's mine alone,
And I'll live here 'til I'm dead.
I'll sort through
what I have found,
The stuff that works
I'll keep around
But
I can't live weighted down
With every cruel word
they said.
I've got to empty out
The inside of my head,
I've got to empty out the inside
Of my head,
I've got to empty out
The inside of my head.




If you would like to learn more about David Wilcox,
The official David Wilcox Website
or you can order his CD by calling 800/492-3079.

No comments: