Thursday, February 23, 2006

I Heard A Song Bird Sing ...


A man came into the store the other day.  I was filling out his paper work when I asked his name ... I stopped writing and said, "Are you related to the Huston girl?" 

He said, "I'm her father."
  I said, "I was so sorry to hear about her death.  She was a beautiful and talented young lady ... I saw her sing at a banquet for young women once.  She had an amazing effect on those young women."   He looked down, took a deep breath, and began to tell his story.

He said he and his wife knew something was wrong when they hadn't heard from her ... They had gone to the police to report her missing.

Policemen have their jobs to do.  They have a way to getting to the facts and not all their ways are victim friendly ... When the Hustons kept insisting that something was wrong, the police began to suspect Mr. Houston of being the one who harmed his own daughter!  The Hustons did everything right ... They gave the police phone numbers and addresses of friends.  They shared their own fears and suspicions ... Anything that might help the police find their daughter ... their precious baby girl.  Mr. Houston had nightmares about his daughter ... dark images ... blood, her body in a dumpster.  He told the police.  The police didn't believe that Mr. Houston could "just know" that without personal knowledge ... Just the facts thinking ... T
his didn't go on for a few days or even a few weeks, but MONTHS with no real answers or clues ... Mr. and Mrs. Huston being interviewed together and separately, with the implication that Mr. Huston had to be guilty ...

I can't imagine it.  I can't imagine not knowing the whereabouts of my daughter for months.  I can't imagine the nightmares they both must have had.  I can't imagine being so afraid and then having the police, who would say they are only doing their job, questioning your motives ... your home life ... your morals ... your character, taking everything you have told them and using it to build a "case" against you!

Mr. Huston's nightmares had come true ... They did find Tamika Huston ... Mr. Huston's voice caught on his words. 

I had heard all the media hype about the casenot being covered the same way they would have covered it if Tamika had been a white girl, but in that moment, Mr. Huston and I were just two parents, not black and white ... just two parents.  I reached across the counter, put my hand on his hand and said, "I am so sorry.  I can not imagine how I would have felt if it had been my daughter."

My eyes were full of tears.  Mr. Huston's shoulders stiffened and he said, "Thank you." the way men do when they are trying hard to maintain their composure ...

I thought about him and his family all day.  I thought about the day I heard Tamika sing.

I had volunteered with a group that had done a class on self-esteem for young teenage girls.  A graduation banquet had been planned and "our girls" were going to be starring in their own fashion show ... They were so EXCITED.  Dress-up clothes on coat hangers, make-up and shoes were everywhere in the rooms that the girls were getting ready.  They were giggling and laughing when an older girl in a beautiful gown walked in the room.  I didn't know her, but she walked around the room, speaking to most of the girls and telling them how proud she was of them.  She looked like someone off the cover of a magazine!

I got back to the list of things I had to do, helped in the banquet room, making sure the family members and mothers of the girls were seated and comfortable.  Most of the meals had been served by the time the program started. 

Mrs. Bertha Samuel thanked everyone for coming and gave a brief introduction to the fashion show.  Ms. Bertha talked about the importance of positive self image and how empowering it can be for young girls today, just getting their start in life.  One by one, she introduced the "graduates", talked a little bit about the dress they were wearing and then, said something special about each and everyone of the girls.  You could see the pride on the girl's faces and in their family's eyes.  Ms. Bertha talked about the dreams that these girls had and how most dreams grow best where there is faith, faith in God and faith in each other.  There was so much goodness and love in that room ... and in that moment, Ms. Bertha introduced Miss Tamika Huston.

Tamika sang the words that were on everyone's hearts.  I could see the girls looking up to her and hoping thatthey could be just like Tamika one day ...

I have heard so many people say that they heard Tamika sing ... In fact, there have been so many kind things said about her and all she had done in her young life.  I don't know the thinking that goes into the black-white thing.  Maybe, their were some decisions made on the basis of race ... I don't know.  Race didn't have a whole lot to do with my experience with Tamika. 

The color of the songbird doesn't stop me from appreciating the pretty song, especially when that beautiful little songbird sang with all her heart.


                    If you would like to know more about Tamika Houston,
                      Here is a beautiful web site: 
Tamika Huston Missing

No comments: